Nelson Mandela once famously said- “If you talk to a person in a language he understands, that goes to his head, if you talk to him in his language that goes to his heart”
No wonder foreign languages are considered the shortest roadmap to a new culture in a brand-new country. Ask a diplomat or a traveller- every globe trotter shall vouch upon the importance of learning the tongue of the land. So, lets take a look at the 10 most favoured foreign languages voted by Indians.
1. French: Touted as the seat of immersive culture, literary grandiose and culinary delight, France has been the favourite go-to Nation since the dawn of the European civilisation. Quite naturally French language is the most widely spoken European language in the world. From Canada to Morocco and France, more than 220 million people speak French in the present times. So, its hardly surprising that French reserves the top spot in the list of most favoured language.
2. Spanish: It is the second most widely used language in the world. Invaluable to business dealings, the language is indispensable for sectors like travel and tourism, foreign service, Translation & Interpretation industry, Language Teaching, Journalism, etc. Interestingly Spanish has been ranked as the easiest language to learn by experts.
3. Japanese: Quite an unusual choice but owing to the growing Indo- Japan trade relations that are at an all-time high, Japanese is one of the most popular east Asian language in India today. However, since the language is a bit tricky to master it has become all the more lucrative across professions.
4. German: German too is a sought-after foreign language in Europe and the world. Wondering why? Well, it is the official language of countries like Germany, Austria, Switzerland etc. German is an economic giant with automobile bestsellers like Volkswagen, BASF, Daimler, BMW, Bosch, Siemens, etc to its credit. It is no 1 as far advancement in technology and engineering is concerned. So, can you imagine the kind of edge that the language lends?
5. Mandarin: It is said that the 21st century belongs to China. With a massive economic thrust, China is all set to outrank US in the coming decade. With already 1 billion speakers, Mandarin is just next to English in terms of its use and efficacy. So, if you are looking for a language with brightest job opportunities, Mandarin is your best pick.
6. Arabic: Regarded as the texture of communication in the middle east, Arabic transcends the dynamic fields of international relations and diplomacy into poetry. Arabic, one of the oldest languages in the world still retains it’s old world charm amongst language enthusiasts and culture explorers.
7. Portuguese: Where English doesn’t tread, Portuguese reigns. Yes, I am talking about Brazil. One of the biggest economies of Latin America, Brazil largely depends of Portuguese for trade, education, entertainment and more. If Spanish is your cup of tea, Portuguese will come easy because essentially, it’s a Latin cousin of the Spanish.
8. Russian: As the 8th most common language in the world, Russian is a safe choice when it comes to business communication and global affairs.
9. Korean: At a glance the Korean symbols might boggle you but interestingly it wont take more than a couple of hours to ace them. Get that extra edge in the job market by mastering Korean speaking skills.
10. Italian: From the land of Romeo Juliet and mouth-watering pizzas, Italian language has been a charmer for the world romantics. Often called the original language of love, Italian has mesmerized poet and artists alike. The beautiful phonetics and the non-verbal gestures accessorize the language and turn it into an expression. Learn Italian for the sake of passion and a zest for living.